University of St Andrews is an instiution that is steeped in history and its buildings are no exception. Amongst the most historically significant is the grandiose Lower Parliament Hall, where the Union Debating Society hosts its public debates for its students free of charge each week.
Work began on Lower Parliament Hall in 1612 and was later completed in 1643. Originally used by the University for student classes and examinations, it was not until 1645 that it came to be known as ‘Parliament Hall’ as a Royalist army led by the Marquis of Montrose defeated the Covenanters' army led by the Marquis of Argyle at the battle of Kilsyth on 15th August 1645. Montrose then took Edinburgh which was surrended to him by the Town Council. The Scottish Parliament supported the Covenanters and so could not meet in Edinburgh and moved instead to St Andrews.
When Montrose entered Edinburgh in 1645 he was told of the plaque which had already greatly depopulated the city.
Today, the intellectual ambiance of Lower Parliament Hall remains as fervent as ever as it is primarily used for debates and academic conferences.
If you would like to attend any of our public debates in the atmospheric Lower Parliament Hall in the future, be sure to visit our Facebook page or view our term card here, which contain all the relevant information.